By now many of you have heard of Todd Davis, CEO of Lifelock who liberally gives his Social Security to the public because of his overwhelming confidence that his identity cannot be stolen. For only $9.99 a month, you can receive up to $1,000,000 protection on your identity. Many companies offer credit protection but Lifelock is clearly the most publicized. Your identity is very important. It is something that can easily be taken for granted, but now it is easy for your identity to be stolen and multiple accounts can be made in your name before you can even notice. Restoring your credit can take months, in some cases years. So the importance of having your identity protected is invaluable. Another concern is that ability of computer theft programs designed to steal passwords when you type them in on your screen. Cyberdefender is a program that will help combat that problem by offering the earliest possible detection and most aggressive defense against Internet security attacks. The threats online can be damaging because your information is a valuable commodity on the world wide web.
Here are some tips to help protect yourself online:
. Make sure the site your visiting is secure
– Purchasing from stores online can be tricky. Make sure the sites have a Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) Certificate Authority or another type of secure transaction certification like McAfee security which enables secure e-commerce, communications, and interactions for Web sites, intranets, and extranets. An example of an online store that does this is Ewatches.
Never give your private information through email, instant messaging or social networks
– You may feel comfortable emailing private information to your friends or sharing that information with them through instant messaging services, but the fact remains that all of that information may be compromised. Especially since information your share can easily be passed on or remains on computer servers.. etc. Only use sites that are secure.
Do periodic checks on your credit
- I always hear people complain that they don’t want to check their credit to much because they’re afraid it will bring their score down. Well what’s worse is that your identity has been stolen and someone is racking up fraudulent charges in your name.
Always keep your credit card hidden
– This may sound elementary, but you would be surprised how many people take out their credit cards at the store and place them down on the counter for the world to see. There are people out there who have mastered the skill of photographic memory and they can remember your numbers in a very short space of time. Always keep your numbers hidden.
Contact your credit card companies and see what their fraud policy is
– If you don’t know what your credit card policy is, then you won’t know how you can be protected or the lack thereof. Know what your credit card company can do by getting on the phone with them and finding out.
Use a Identity protection company
– For only $9.99 a month your identity can be protected at all times from the team at LifeLock. Peace of mind is priceless and they’ll help you achieve it.
Duane Anderson is the Co-Founder of Yiddie, a product review and coupon site designed to enhance users experience online and save money.